Monday, September 14, 2015

Ivy creek hike 9-14-15

Wayne led 12 of us up the trail today, just as we started up the trail we met a group of hunters on horseback coming down the trail. so we had lots of "road apples" to watch out for.  We had a couple of creek crossings to make as the pix show, our leaders are great about helping out when needed.  This trail is well used with the trail cut to a depth of about 15 inches in places.  The registration book shows over 180 users of this trail since July 1st of this year...
 
A couple of hikers were "ambushed" by a patch of wild, ripe raspberries but were fortunate in being able to pick and eat their way out of it........
We had our lunch at a nice spot with lots of places to sit and a good view of the canyon.  On the way down I went across to the other side of the canyon to get a pix of the valley below.
There was a new stream coming across the trail at one point, I found a new beaver dam causing the new channel for the stream.  The dam isn't very high, the pond is barely 2 feet deep and as I was watching a large beaver came out of the lodge and swam underwater across the pond. I couldn't get a pix of it, wish I had a Polaroid lens for my camera so I could have.
 
Doug will lead a good hike on Wednesday and I will take a short hike up to the top of Baxter mountain on Thursday, all hikes start at 9AM from the Visitors Center..........
 
Dennis

No comments: