Friday, August 30, 2013

Another Fourteener Bites The Dust

Hikers--here are the rewards of tough-hike conditioning.  Bob's pictures, clear and well composed, testify to the big thrills and glorious perspectives of above-timberline hiking.  It's a pity to deny yourself the experience; it's worth it to prepare physically and eat with discipline.
 
San Luis Peak is the 14er closest to South Fork and Creede.  There are 53 others in the state.  Because I had a meeting in Santa Fe on this day, I'm thinking of a high climb or two in early September.  If you want to join me and feel ready, let me know.  We live in a magnificent part of the world.  It's worth the effort to immerse ourselves in it.
--Doug Knudson
First, we took the shortcut that goes straight up.
The sun began to arise to our back.
This place has an interesting name, Bondholder Meadow.  Dead spruce everywhere.
It is a hardy flower that grows at this altitude.  These were right along the trail about 13,000 feet up.
Last to summit, I caught this group on top.  I think that they were ready to go down.  And the mountain is 14,014 feet in altitude; I checked.
Wayne and Ebony have that mountain look going down.
Jim, Ashley and George appear satisfied with their accomplishment.
Then George took this photo proving that I also made it.
I love the views.  That is Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn in the left distance, two more fourteeners.
 
The return trip; lots of up and down.  Bonnie (I hope I spelled her name correctly) needed field maintenance.  George applied his shoe skills while Linda and I looked on.
We need only about a mile back to the vehicles for a total of about 11 miles total.  Wayne and Ashley waited on us to make sure we turned correctly.
On the way up, the rising sun gave a star performance with San Luis waiting on the left.
The final slope has these marvelous rock cairns that someone(s) has constructed.  They reminded me of spruce cones, obviously artfully done with care.  I am looking down, the summit is behind me requiring a lot more heavy breathing.
The weather cooperated.  No rain until I got back home.
Bob.

No comments: